What’s round, pink, detoxifying, helps control appetite just by smelling it, gives your skin a healthy glow, helps keeps away tummy bloat, contains powerful antioxidants, is full of heart-healthy nutrients, and is naturally sweet and juicy?
Luscious ruby red grapefruit.
Although Florida grapefruits are in season from Nov-May, I typically fill my fruit bowl (those big stinkers leave no room for anything else!) with them in the spring.
Personally, my favorite way to eat them is to peel and eat them straight up like an orange. I like to take advantage of all the fiber. But here’s a few more of my favorite super-detoxifying recipes:
Grapefruit and Strawberry Smoothie (serves 3)
- 1 peeled, seeded, and chopped grapefruit
- 2 cups hulled strawberries
- 1 cored and chopped apple. Choose an in-season apple that’s on the sweeter side.
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 c. water
- Optional: If you love cilantro like I do, add a few leaves before you blend into your smoothie. Not only does it add a little zeal to the flavor, cilantro helps with detoxification.
Blend ingredients until smooth.
Tip: You may want to hold the ginger if you’re sharing with your children.
Grapefruit and Avocado Salad (serves 2)
- 2 bowlfuls of salad greens. I like a spinach / kale blend.
- 1 ruby red grapefruit peeled, segmented, and chopped.
- 1 chopped avocado
- 2 T. pepitas
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and squeeze of fresh lemon
- Sprinkle of black pepper
I share a super easy, nutritious and delicious recipe each week in my Wow! Notes. Sign up in the box below so you don’t miss them!
Let me know how you like the recipes. Leave a comment below.